About Me

My photo
Emigrated from America to New Zealand and never looked back. Couldn't have asked for a better husband, family & life!

EGGNOG KISSES

EGGNOG KISSES


Traditionally, I don’t do a lot of “holiday baking” like my grandma and her sisters usually did. I do, however, enjoy making a few more “unique” things to share with friends. Recently, a friend shared some homemade eggnog (lower-fat version) which was very nice and inspired my to ring my Dad and see if he still remembered the proportions for his full-fat version (which he did share with me, and I can post here later if time allows).

Not too long after that, I believe, I noted this recipe posted on a fellow food blogger’s site at
Cooking Down Under. This is another American transplant foodie only she is living “across the ditch” in Aussie and I live here in lovely Aotearoa (literally translates to “Land of the long white cloud” – or more simply, New Zealand).

Anyway, I saw this recipe and just had to try it to see if these biscuits/cookies truly tasted like eggnog (and they really did have a mild noggy flavour). I will say though, that for more nogginess, I have doubled the vanilla and added nutmeg in the dough, then slightly increased the rum in the icing – Perfection!

Only a couple of shopping days left now and I think we are all set in my household. I hope you are all done with your Christmas shopping and looking forward to a great holiday and even better new year! Best wishes to you all.

Meri Kirihimete!

INGREDIENTS:

DOUGH¾ Cup Butter
½ Cup Sugar
¼ Cup Packed Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla
1 Egg
¼ Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Nutmeg
2 Cups Flour, sifted

FILLING¼ Cup Butter
¾ Cup Sifted Icing Sugar (powdered/confectioners sugar)
*1½ Tbsp Rum
*Ground nutmeg

* Amounts vary to individual tastes.

DIRECTIONS:

In a large bowl, beat ¾ Cup butter (or margarine) until softened.

Add sugar and brown sugar and beat until creamy.

Now add egg, vanilla, salt, and beat well.

Slowly incorporate the flour and mix until well combined.

Wrap in cooking paper and/or cling film and chill for about 1 hour or until no longer soft.

Shape into 1 inch balls, then place them approximately 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet, or a baking sheet lined with baking paper or a silicone baking mat.

Press down centers with thumb (or, in my case I used the backside of a ½ Tsp measuring spoon.

Now, bake in a 180 C (350 F) oven for about 12 minutes, or until done.

Remove and cool completely before filling.

To make the filling, using a small bowl and fork, beat ¼ Cup butter until softened then slowly add powdered sugar and beat/whisk until fluffy.

Next, add the rum and mix well.

Spoon about ½ Tsp of filling into the centre of each cookie then sprinkle each with just a bit of nutmeg.

Chill the cookies until the filling is firm, then enjoy!



6 Thoughts & Remarks:

MaryBeth said...

My wonderful loving husband would love these very much, he absolutely loves egg nog.

Pam said...

They look pretty and very tasty. Love the idea of an egg nog cookie.

The crayfish salad down below looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Whoa there! I am a Kiwi born and bred who just happenes to live in Oz these days. Also not my recipe, but as an eggnog-deprived Kiwi, I'll give it a go, too. Kia ora!

Jennifer said...

Those look really good, I am a fan of eggnog!

Joan said...

Thanks so much for coming by my blog. Welcome Welcome!! I love these cookies, they look like little cakes. Merry Christmas to you!

k and k world said...

cool! thanks for the recipes...see ya!